My Baby Needs Paint Clothes

We just bought our first home, and now we are working to make it our own!

02 July 2005

Cleaning...

So...I cleaned my apartment today. Most of it, at least. The hallway and the living room, and I started on the bedrooms. I had an ulterior motive: both of my air conditioners recently decided it would be a good idea if they watered my carpet. Fortunately, the only thing hurt by this was the carpet, but I haven't had a/c in my livingroom for over a month (I'm lazy...) and the bedroom a/c started wetting the carpet on Thursday. So today I cleaned so I could get to the air conditioners to remove them from the windows. My very cool little brother, Steven, came over and helped me take them out of the windows and downstairs to the porch where we took them apart and hosed the insides down to get all the gunk out.

Being the practical person I sometimes am, I decided we should start with the unit I thought would be easiest to get out: the one in the living room. Well, last summer some birds decided to build a nest in there, and I've heard some intermittent high-pitched squeaks that I thought nothing of. So, after we get the window open, Steven grabs the right side of the unit and I grab the left side. My hand runs into something slightly fuzzy, but I was just thinking it was feathers from the nest that was there. Hah. So we lift the unit up and out and there's this sudden burst of movement. Apparently, the fuzzy thing I felt was a bat. As in the brown furry thing with leathery wings. It squeaked and flew off. Talk about a good way to startle someone. I thought I was going to drop the a/c, I was so startled. By the amount of guano in the windowsill, that bat's been there quite awhile.

Fortunately, the removal of the second air conditioner was uneventful, though enlightening. I found the reason it had been leaking: whatever idiot put the storm windows up caulked the bottom, and so water was collecting in the window well and after the storm on Thursday it filled up and started leaking. So now I have to take the a/c back out sometime when I can con someone into helping me and remove the caulk; it's much easier to do from inside than from a ladder. Until then, I'll have to keep an eye out for leakage. I was able to remove a little today, but Steven had to get home so I couldn't take the time to get it all done. I was so grateful for his help. I have a/c again! yay!

In other news...Mom had a bbq last night, and Micah's family came. Micah did not come. He had to work. Likely excuse. ~.^ Sharon and Matthias brought their kids (they have two and four year old boys and three week old twins), Lisa and Wayne brought their two girls, Rita, Micah's sister, came too, and Steven's friend Clint and Ben's girlfriend. Danita came with Sarah and little Robbie, and one of Mom's hospital friends came with her son and his girlfriend. It was a lot of fun. We had hotdogs and hamburgers and brats and potato salad and beans and macaroni salad. I ate way too much. There was fruit and watermelon for desert, and that was really good too. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.

Random quote: "Yes, madam, I am drunk. But in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly." Winston Churchill (replying to Lady Astor's comment "Sir, you are drunk.")